Friday, January 23, 2009

lessons in patience...

being a nurse is supposed to be one of the most fulfilling jobs emotionally, right? well, it is, kinda anyway. so a couple of days ago I'm in the office when this demented patient's wife comes spittingg chips because her husband's 300 dollar mohair was ruined in our laundry. very frustrating, i understand, I mean, i wld nt spend 300 dollars on a rug no matter how rich i got, but you know, thats just me, so why impose them on such a rich lady , right? anyway, tto each his own, if thats how the hell she roll, well, thats how she roll. my problem was not precipitated by any of the so far mentioned details, however, it was by the way she handled it, she calls us all idiots who work there, right to the laundry lady, we were all referred to as idiots because we could not look at the rug and distinguish its high value and as a result keep it from the laundry and if it did get there, send it back. now, one of the skills I'm learning through my line of work is actually how to SHUT UP! i'm learning how to appear calm and unperturbed, or is it 'professional' in the face of circumstances that would normally be mitigating for murder one! anyway, so i crossed my hands and listened o this woman who undermines my knowledge and abilities at every turn, whose caustic tongue has caused me so much private grief that i have considered quitting so many times now. but why should she make me quit? she's lived her life, and is now struggling to grasp the fact that her formerly distinguished hunk of a man with whom she might have graced many a society page, is the drooling, gibberish spouting human being she sees at her every visit. she's struggling to deal with the loss of a lifestyle, quite possibly the loss of her husband as was, the loss of status and such huge losses that we all struggle with as we approach our twilight years, some handle it with quiet dignity, others with aplomb, yet others by venting on every tom, mary and harry. its up to me to decide who i let jolt a reaction out of me, and in what circumstances, cos every one i meet, is fighting some kind battle. i have therefore decided that I will find a happy medium between being a dumping ground for everyone's ish, and being considerate of evryone's battles. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.... think i can find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment